Saturday, June 29, 2019

Fishing Shack, Part 2



Just as in Part 1 of the Fishing Shack, I used the paper model by Fat Dragon Games as a template for the other sides. In this pic, the front of the house that I made in Part 1 is in upper left. For the other three pieces, the paper templates are spray-mounted onto the PVC board.

This time I decided not to cut holes where the windows and door are. Instead, I left those areas flat and made sure NOT to cut grooves in those spots to represent siding.


I used a tool called The Chopper I to cut the small styrene strips. This helps keep the cut at 90 degrees.


Superglued the strips around the windows and door.


I had kept the windows that had been cut out of the front of the house, which I'm holding in this picture. I used that as a reference for painting a rough reflection on the windows. 


At this point, all I needed to do was the roof.


After a little online research it seemed like a good way to make shingles for a roof is by using thick paper or cardboard. I happened to have a lot of nice thick watercolor paper, so I used that because it will take paint well. I used the paper model again as a guide for size of the rows of shingles, and drew them out onto the paper. 


Using a combination of inks and Vallejo acrylic paints, I stained the paper before I cut out the strips.


The picture below shows the paper model reference, and some of the strips after they had been cut out.





Sometimes I used a card to mask off some shingles while stippling other shingles, to add variety.


Here are the shingles after I glued them onto the roof. I used PVA glue, and then once all of them were on, I went over the top of them again with one layer of the same glue, to keep the paper down.


This picture shows another detail I added -- a step just outside the doors. I made that with PVC board, textured with a rock, and then painted.

This project was fun. I decided to call it a day at this point, although there are other finishing touches I could do at some point: a chimney in the center of the roof, some static grass along the edges, perhaps other fishing-theme items like nets or buoys. But for now I'll leave those options open, because they may change depending on whether I use this in some sort of diorama.





2 comments:

  1. This looks awesome, Jon! The shingles came out amazing, and I dig the green streaking up the sides. If you manage to add miniature fishing equipment and ground... what comes after amazing and awesome? It would be that.

    ReplyDelete